As nothing else has been posted, I figured I’d open this up to discussion.

A brilliant race, I thought. Lots of fantastic battles. An intelligent strategy from Ferrari. Not too chaotic or arbitrary. Albon fighting on 40-lap old tires for a huge P7.

How’d everyone else enjoy it?

• ghose
    link
    61 year ago

I enjoyed the race. Being honest Max was on his own race as usual, but not that far.

The fight ALO-HAM was very intense, many many laps doing qualy laps each other and putting pressure on the rival. ALO managed the gap brilliantly IMO given the circumstances (lift&coast)

Ferrari’s dice was right in this race 😄 Very good and consistent race pace, just marginally slower than podium cars on a diferent strategy. Kudos to them.

Albon: Driver of the Day on merit.

Plenty of action in the race despite the DRS trains

• @cheery_coffee@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      21 year ago

I am loving the Hamilton Alonso competition lately.

I was worried for Alonso, when Hamilton is behind you and you’ve got any vulnerability the Jaws theme starts playing in my head.

When Alonso said on radio “leave it to me” was a great moment.

• bazpoint
    link
    fedilink
    51 year ago

Such a great effort for Albon… easy DotD, and huge for Williams in the lower WCC battle. Hope it’s a sign that the Williams upgrades are decent & we may see more of it.

Russell cracked under the pressure of trying to stay on the back of Alonso… absolutely insane that the car almost finished the race after that hit… I was surprised it finished the lap! F1 cars are made of strong stuff these days.

Max mega as ever… ominous that Newey appears to be fully invested in F1 again after a few years where he seemed to drift away.

• ghose
      link
      11 year ago

kudos to Albon and Williams 👍 👍

• sliels
    link
    fedilink
    31 year ago

I love that Albon and Williams 100% played to their cars strengths, and nobody seemed to have an answer for it!

• WatTylerOP
      link
      fedilink
      31 year ago

We need to add Alex to the ‘tyre whisperer’ club. It’s one thing to stay ahead of that DRS train, it’s another do so when his tyres were so old. I’m so happy to have Albon in the sport. It’s a shame Williams aren’t in a place yet to have a good second driver, who could also pull shit like this.

• @ApexHunter@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        11 year ago

It isn’t some giant secret; they are super fast on the straights so followers with drs can’t get alongside, and are “fast enough” (but slow comparatively) in the corners that nobody can get past them.

We see this pattern from them in every race; they always lead a long drs train, with the car in front of them tens of seconds ahead.

• Welsh_kiwi10
    link
    fedilink
    31 year ago

I know Max doesn’t need the help but my god Perez does not deserve that Red Bull put Norris in it or something.

• WatTylerOP
      link
      fedilink
      21 year ago

+1 for putting Norris in as a fan. However if I was Red Bull management I’d keep giving him one year contracts until be becomes a liability. They’ve got constructors nailed on and a clear driver hierarchy. It’s ideal for them.

• Welsh_kiwi10
        link
        fedilink
        31 year ago

Yeah they need what Bottas was to Hamilton, up there but never making a serious challenge for number 1 like Rosberg did. Then again Max is so dominant that maybe fixing what’s not broken isn’t an issue.

• David Palmer
      link
      fedilink
      21 year ago

Put Albon back in that car, now that he has the experience. He’s proving how good he is at Williams.

• Naminreb
    link
    fedilink
    31 year ago

I can’t understand how Perez just couldn’t compete with Ferrari’s pace at all. Not his best circuit.

• WatTylerOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 year ago

I love Lando but tbh I was confused by that one 😂 he was never going to outrun the penalty. Looked like he just wanted to take out Ocon for the lols.

I want Lando in the second Red Bull seat. Imagine Max Verstappen having a teammate with balls.

• GoatTnder
    link
    fedilink
    English
    21 year ago

Favorite moment was Alonso’s pit telling him Hamilton was just 1.9s behind. “Okay, leave it to me.” And then suddenly it was a 6 second gap.

• WatTylerOP
      link
      fedilink
      51 year ago

My understanding is that he slowed down on the race track leading up to pit entry so that McLaren could double-stack him after Piastri. It’s against the rules to deliberately go slow and impede like that.

• janoosh
    link
    fedilink
    English
    11 year ago

Great race. Loved those last lap moves from Norris, Ocon and Stroll. Well deserved DotD for Albon Feeling bad for Tsunoda though, that 6.4 pit stop was painful to see.

• @t0fr@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    11 year ago

I’m happy that Alonse got something better than 3rd. It was the perfect opportunity for him. Good defense by him as usual.

• jonj
      link
      fedilink
      01 year ago

The strategy was scary! Maybe with Meckies off to a new team someone else is getting a say

• Matte
        link
        fedilink
        English
        17 months ago

I think they used all the bad choices with sainz… although I can’t blame them, a race here with no SC was really an oddity.

• Ecksell
    link
    fedilink
    English
    01 year ago

What the heck happened with Checo? He should have had a podium, but just got lost in a DRS train I guess?

• Entropywins
      link
      fedilink
      11 year ago

It seems like he’s just lost confidence or something… he’s not in the all time greats category but he should be able to push a little harder

• @Sentau@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 year ago

He was also lacking pace. Before he pit for fastest lap, the gap between him and Sainz was biggest gap among the top 6 cars