Just in case this is as far as you read, the answer is no, probably not.

well written in simple terms, addressing many topics related to running

• @alpacapone@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    111 year ago

Who knows how many people have convinced themselves to stay on the couch by believing that it’s better for their knees.

• ghoseOP
      link
      English
      21 year ago

I suspect that more than we would imagine 😔, if it is needed an article like that

• @ticho@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    81 year ago

You should worry, but not to extent that it would keep you from running completely.

You need to learn proper running style/technique, find shoes that work for you, and most importantly, pace yourself, depending on your fitness and weight. Don’t overdo it.

It’s worth it to find a good trainer in your area and start under a professional guidance - if only for a first few months.

• @Lokisan@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    71 year ago

I know that this not related to the knees and it’s just from personal experience but, running actually reduced my sciatic pain. Especially when I started my training to the point where I’m almost cured now. Kudos to my physicist who helped me to get back on my feet and teach me what to do to maintain a physical activity despite the pain.

• @chippy1402@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    41 year ago

I seem to remember using this as an excuse for years. I can’t run I’ve got bad knees. Turns out running had actually been quite good at rebuilding strength and haven’t had many problems in the last 2 years! I did start at 56 years old and have lost 30kgs in the process so that might have helped!

• @pacman326@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    31 year ago

Had ACL surgery 10 years ago. Running has reduced the load on my knee so much that I can’t even tell I had surgery on it.

• @dreikelvin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 year ago

Can agree on that. “It WiLl RuIn YoUr KnEeS” is just an argument by people who just don’t want to try running as a longterm activity. If anything, repeated exercise will strengthen your knee area by motivating muscle growth and stabilizing your joints even more. Just make sure your nutrition is good and you talk to your physician if you have concerns

• @feedum_sneedson@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I keep hurting the top of my left foot, and I don’t know what to do about it.

Changing the type of lacing has definitely helped, but I swear it’s a recurrent issue, like it might become chronic. It’s not like I can leave my shoes unlaced, I feel like too loose is almost as bad as too tight.

God I’m getting annoyed by it. I can’t do enough miles to improve because this keeps flaring up. It wasn’t a problem before, I have no idea what started it.

Edit: to be honest my assumption is that it’s extensor tendonitis.